Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The Taj!

It's hard to describe what it's like to see something like the Taj Mahal for the first time. Entering through the huge, stone gate, which is covered with intricate, inlaid designs, and seeing the marble spectacle for real, in person, is beyond description. It's much like seeing the Grand Canyon for the first time. It at once takes your breath away, and causes you to doubt your own eyes. It must be a very convincing backdrop! Or a mirage!
But no, it was real. As our guide explained the history of the marble moseleum, one member of my group sobbed and the rest of us gasped and gawked in wonder. Upon approach, it was even more spectacular. It's so big. And so white. Standing on the terrace that surrounds the main building, the whiteness of the marble is almost blinding. We went on an overcast morning, and still I had to wear sunglasses. 
Afterwards, we were taken to (can you guess??) a marble shop! This family had (supposedly) descended directly from the stone carvers who worked on the Taj Mahal 400 years. They had a huge variety of marble wares, which were inlaid with various stone designs. 
Maybe I was still entranced by the romance of the Taj, but I became determined to own one of these beautiful pieces.  They were quite pricey, but I rationalized that I had gone two weeks without smoking. I would have spent more money on cigarettes than I did on the beautiful little box I ended up purchasing. I walked away feeling like I was taking a piece of the Taj home.
We left right from there and headed to Delhi. From Delhi, we were bound for Dharmasala, the location I would be spending the next month as I pursue my yoga teaching certification. 
This entry is very late. Most from here on will likely be sporadic, as I have started the program. To call it rigorous would be putting it lightly. But more on that later. 

No comments: