Saturday, June 16, 2012

Mountains and Mantras: Life in the Himalayas

We left Delhi around 7 AM on Friday morning. There were three vans full of us - prospective yoga students from all around the world. We had congregated in the hotel lobby before the vans loaded up, making small talk and taking in the new faces that would soon be so familiar. As the vans lurched through the smog and heavy traffic, I felt a huge sense of relief. I was finally headed to the place I would be calling home for the next month.
The trip took about 12 hours. I noted with some satisfaction that the scenery was nowhere near as dramatic and diverse as I had encountered in Rajasthan. That is, until we reached the base of the Himalayas. 
I had dozed off, and woke up to the van careening around a hairpin curve in the road. The small towns and farms had given way to hilly forests. As we climbed and climbed, we passed through towns that seemed to dangle off the hillsides. About two or three hours into our ascent, I noticed a strange cloud formation in the distance. When I focused my attention on it, I realized it was not clouds. It was a vast, snow-capped range of mountains. We had reached the Himalayas.
Our ashram is situated between small farms at the base of the mountains. Every morning, I wake up to cows lowing in the pasture and the Himalayas stretching gloriously up to meet the sky. The farmers work the fields while we meditate, and at night when class is done, the sky is littered with stars. The beauty is beyond compare.
My days are now filled to the brim. A typical day goes as such: 
5 AM - Wake up, take a shower (usually the end of which is cold, but I'm used to it now - it's a more effective wake-up than coffee!)
6 AM - Meditation
7 AM - Yoga class
9:30 AM - Brunch
10:30 AM - Yoga Theory and History
12:30 PM - Break
1 PM - Yoga or chanting workshop
2:30 PM - Snack/lunch (usually fruit)
3 PM - Yoga Sutras (philosophy)
5 PM - Teacher workshop
7:30 PM - Dinner
8:30 PM - Chanting class
It doesn't leave much time for, well, anything. We have reading and other assignments to complete during our scant free time. 
I do feel that I am getting my money's worth here. My teachers are all Indian and have studied traditional Hatha yoga for many years. Our philosophy teacher, Swami G, is a bona fide monk. The fancy yoga centers in New York and other places have many wonderful qualities, I'm sure, but this feels like I am getting an authentic education by instructors who are the Real Deal. I mean, who would you rather learn Sanskrit from, a Lululemon-clad white lady in New York, or an actual monk in India? 
I'm off to class now, but will post as I have time! :)

No comments: