Sunday, May 20, 2007

One Way or Another...

I just had a fantastic weekend. And when I say "fantastic", I mean "I saw Blondie". Yes, Blondie - "Heart of Glass" Blondie, Deborah Harry Blondie. Turns out we have similar musical taste (I always knew it!). This brush with destiny occured at an Heloise and the Savoir Faire show at the Annex on Saturday night (side note to the Annex: Your munchkin-sized drinks were cute and all, but if I'm going to shell out almost 10 bucks for a Jack and Coke, please give me a big-girl glass). Of course, I forgot my camera. Curses! Another reason to have it surgically attached...

Blondie's presence at the show reaffirmed for me the absolute and undeniable awesomeness of Heloise and the Savoir Faire. If Pat Benetar and Cyndi Lauper had a love child, the product would be Heloise. If Prince and Bob Fosse had a pair of fraternal love twins, the product would be the Savoir Faire. (Honestly, since we're in the realm of genetic fairy land, you could add a dash of the Clash for a little bad-assedness.) These kids put on a KILLER show! The songs are catchy, but not in the irritating, get-out-of-my-head kind of way. Heloise has a serious set of pipes on her - add to that some excellent choreography and you've got one helluva show.

The place was superpackedwithverylittledancingroom, but I still had a great time. I should qualify this statement: I am not a fan of live music. After the Mosh Pit Incident of 2002, I have avoided concerts for the most part. I hate crowds, and honestly would much rather jam out to my iPod 99% of the time. It doesn't charge me a cover, or $9 for a thimble-sized drink. But I was so entertained, and their music unleashed my dormant Child of the 80s (who's been watching "Pretty in Pink" on tape and making friendship bracelets in a dark corner of my mind for almost 20 years) and dammit! She thinks these guys are rad! She's making me go to their next show (June 9th at Midway - 25 Ave. B), and she thinks you should go, too. Totally.

One last bit of awesomeness: I went to the after-party with the band (okay, I tailed the band) and about 80 of their closest friends at a teeny-tiny bar on the Lower East Side. I was enjoying myself - imbibing in some properly-sized alcoholic beverages. The music at the place had been great all evening, and a particularly excellent tune started playing. I looked down the bar and, made eye contact with the DJ, and gave him the "right on!" head nod. He nodded back. Let me rephrase that: Elijah Wood nodded back. Double-take. Yes, that was Elijah mother f'in Wood. Turns out that Heloise is on his label. And he likes DJing. And he's a pretty bad-ass DJ. And once again, the universe makes sense.





Rock on, Frodo. Rock on.



No comments: