Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The vegan experiment: Day 3

Day 3


Breakfast - Woke up...sore. Very sore. Apparently I forgot to stretch before my little run yesterday. Hobbled into work armed with a soy yogurt to try for breakfast. My enthusiasm for experimentation had been dampened a little by yesterday's rice yogurt disappointment, but I was determined to try. I opened it, and was disheartened to find that it was a dingy beige color (it was strawberry flavored). The consistency was encouraging, though - it actually had the thickness of regular yogurt. I braced myself and took a bite. Not...half...bad! If you don't actually look at it while you're eating, it's pretty decent! I tried to tell myself that years of artificial coloring had twisted my perception of what color food actually is - it doesn't have to be pink to taste like strawberry. After I crossed that mental hurdle, I actually enjoyed it. I had some raspberries, too (hm...noticing a trend here...)


Snack 1 - Had an apricot and a mango. Then an apple with some honey. I am kind of burnt out on almonds at this point. I'm lucky because there's a fruit stand downstairs at my work, so I can change things up when I get bored (but I'm pretty loyal to the raspberries).

Lunch - Had the same salad as Monday, but today added some beans and avacado. After chatting with a vegetarian co-worker, she suggested I add more protein to my salad. There must be something to that, because I didn't get hungry until I was home! No real "snack 2" today!

Dinner - Had hummus and 1/2 a pita, then some potato and leek soup. Oh yeah, Frank and I bought a watermelon at the store, and we both ate a bunch of it when we got home. I also picked up an Amy's frozen meal in case I have trouble tomorrow...

...which brings me to my first real challenge - tomorrow night's dinner. I'm hoping they have some kind of vegetable that hasn't been cooked in butter, but I'm not going to count on it. I wonder if I can fit some raspberries in my evening bag...

A funny side note - tonight Frank came home from work and had one of those gross rice yogurts. And he actually liked it! Gah! Lucky for me, he wasn't a huge fan of the soy yogurt, so I guess I'll take that off his hands (we can swap). Also, a co-worker of mine lent me her copy of "Skinny Bitch", which has been a really funny, quick read. I thought it was just going to be about healthy eating and exercise, but it actually promotes a vegan lifestyle! I just finished the chapter on dairy, and to quote them directly, "You will pee in your pants when you see how much weight you lose from giving up dairy." (Yeah, they're not exactly shrinking violets, so be warned before you pick up the book - they really like the F word, and they will make repeated references to your "fat/sorry ass" and "shitty/horrendous diet". Not for the feint of heart.)

No comments: